Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Potato Soup for an Aching Back. (And a song all about it.)

*sung to the tune of: your typical blues song*

Woke up this morning.
Turned on the light.
I already knew,
I was in for a fight.

The clothes were all dirty,
no dishes were clean.
This is what makes
good wives turn mean.

Took care of it all
and didn't even complain.
My house is now spotless,
but I feel insane.

My back is aching,
my hair is a mess.
I can't even sew
two arms onto a dress.

Now I must go and make some dinner,
why isn't all this action making me thinner?!!



That was a little ditty I wrote on the spot just now that I have to say really sums up my day. Since I woke up this morning, I have been cleaning, cooking, taking care of Baby Bug, trying to sew arms onto a doll dress, showering, taking care of myself, etc. I just got back in from taking Baby Bug outside and something I did out there (could it have been the 20 somersaults or handsprings I did?.... I didn't think so.) pulled my back out. I was fine and playing with the Bug and when I bent down to pick her up, a sharp pain struck my hip and jolted down my leg. I hobbled inside where I still wasn't able to rest because I had to cook dinner and take care of the Bug because Martin was too busy to help me. I can't even bend over now. Oy, what a day. Anyhoo, anyone want a nice potato soup recipe? I got it from Allrecipes.com. The only way I do it differently is to add some peas and carrots. It is so easy, and can be adjusted to your tastes. If you don't like meat, don't add it.



Potato Soup

3 1/2 cups peeled and diced potatoes
1/3 cup diced celery
1/3 cup finely chopped onion
3/4 cup diced cooked ham
3 1/4 cups water
2 tablespoons chicken bouillon granules
1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
1 teaspoon ground white or black pepper, or to taste
5 tablespoons butter
5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 cups milk

1. Combine the potatoes, celery, onion, ham and water in a stockpot. Bring to a boil, then cook over medium heat until potatoes are tender, about 10 to 15 minutes. Stir in the chicken bouillon, salt and pepper.

2. In a separate saucepan, melt butter over medium-low heat. Whisk in flour with a fork, and cook, stirring constantly until thick, about 1 minute. Slowly stir in milk as not to allow lumps to form until all of the milk has been added. Continue stirring over medium-low heat until thick, 4 to 5 minutes.

3. Stir the milk mixture into the stockpot, and cook soup until heated through. Serve immediately.


Now, I am off to finally take a nice, hot bath. Martin is taking Lea for a walk so I can try to rest my back a little. Don't I have the best husband in the world?

No comments: